Tuesday, May 24, 2011

VALIDATION: A BRANDING TOOL



Last week I received from the Press one of the projects we have been working on for sometime now. And my first instinct was, couldn’t we have done better?  The truth of the matter is that the work was well done, but there is something inside of me that keeps stretching me immediately after a victory and while, if I harness this properly, it will help me to get better at my craft, it can also adversely affect my team.

The reason I say this is because, somehow I don’t get to allow them enjoy the victory of what they had worked on for such a long time, before I start to take them to task about what else we could have done.  Now those who have the same temperament and mindset such as I have, may not find anything wrong with my taking them to task so soon, but I find that I also have in my team those who require validation to be able to do better the next time!

I have been thinking of this for a while now, and last week it was brought home to me in the most fulfilling way.  For a while now, I have been a student of the John Maxwell philosophy and in my book, Dr Maxwell, is the very best when it comes to the art of leadership and communicating.  That is why when I received the opportunity to be tutored by him and his team; I jumped at it with all that I have got.

Some of the online teaching calls however, are late at night because of the time differential between us and the United States, which means that I am not able to sit in on all the calls and have to catch up after the call.  But last week in his daily one minute video Dr Maxwell dedicated the word of the day, ‘Together’ to all of us on that team.

I was so pleased and I felt special, but it also got me thinking that even though I struggle to keep up with all the learning because of time and my schedule of work, he didn’t send a video telling me I could have done better but instead, he sent me one telling me how pleased he was to be working with me!

I learnt a new one that day, it was that I have to find a way despite my perfectionist streak to try and validate those who work with me more, so that they will be motivated and willing to do more!  This is because, Dr Maxwell’s video made me feel like I owe it to him to do more, and I imagined how if I validated those who will work with me more often, how much they will be willing to give more to the task.

Now I can assure you that this is not going to be an easy one for me, but again are we all not on a learning process?  If Dr Maxwell does it and I cannot stop thinking about those wonderful words he spoke then, it is time for me to learn to validate others as the profit comes to me.

When your brand goes out to add value and tell others how important they are to the process, they will give you their absolute best, because I am ready to give the John Maxwell Training team, my best.

Till next week remember that, what you sow will come back to you in good measure, set out to validate today, and you will make it NeverTheLess.

Best wishes

Sistar B

No comments:

Post a Comment