Tuesday, February 26, 2013

REVIEWS FOR SISTA POWER


Hello people, it is Tuesday, I know;  life has just happened back and forth for me.  Anyhow, through this week beginning from today, I will be having guests on NeverTheLess to share their thoughts on my book Sista Power scheduled for release this weekend here in Lagos, Nigeria.
Today’s post is the first of two by my Sista Bola Essien-Nelson; of the DNW fame now The Salt Chronicles.  Please see her blog here:   http://diaryofadesperatenaijawoman.blogspot.com
book1

Please enjoy and make up your mind to buy a copy of Sista Power.  You will be glad you did.

“Coals stay hotter and burn brighter when clustered together. But Separate one from the group and it quickly grows cold and faint”.  This quote right at the beginning of the book, more or less encapsulates what collaboration is all about. The ‘why’, the ‘how’ and the ‘when’ of collaboration. As I read these words, my heart was so filled with gratitude to God because I just knew that he was encouraging me knowing the task he had set before me in 2013. Papa God, thank you for being so kind and good. Of course, it was natural for me to feel cold and faint sometimes in my prayer closet but there is no need to stay that way. I can collaborate with others. I can cluster with others and get my prayer coals burning hot and bright again.

The Mandate
I have come to believe and this book has confirmed it that, most of the time when God gives you a task to do, you usually have to wonder ‘how can this be?’ It always seems so big, too big for you and for me, that right there is a sure banker sign that it is a God thing. For were you able to do it in your own steam, then it would be a man thing. When I think about JUM (Joined Up Motherhood), I get clammy hands and my heart beats faster but then I remember that it is God’s initiative and that it is for the greater good of his children and I relax in the confidence that God will accomplish his work. The mandate is not about me. It’s about ‘the greater good’. Thank you Sista Power for making me see this again.

Collaboration
According to Sista Power Collaboration is all about recognizing that you need help and reaching it for it. Collaboration is not an admission of weakness. It is actually the reverse. It takes real character to step out to work with others. To share your dream or goals with others and invite them to travel your journey with you. And in the times we are facing today, much of what needs to be done has to be a collaborative effort for it to have an impact. The task is too big. We need to partner with others. This book is a guide on how to do this ‘well’ and wisely.

So honest. So fresh.
No airs. No ‘humble’ bragging. Simply real. There is just something that strikes me about people when I meet them for the first time and the same thing happens when I am reading a non-fiction inspirational book. It is how ‘real’ the words sound to me. As I read this book, I feel like the author is right there with me, sharing with me from an earnest heart about her life and her experiences and I love that.  Bidemi does not try to ‘make like she is perfect’. I can identify with her. Sometimes I read books and I just feel that, underneath all the ‘self-effacing’ words, there is still something screaming out for me to notice how smart, business-savvy, prayerful, helpful and philanthropic’ the author is. Such books simply put me off. I can get that from my church!  Nowadays, we are all ‘forming’ perfect and it is not helping. Sista Power is a down to earth conversation between you and another lady who wants to help you reach your full potential in life as you collaborate with others…..wisely.

The battle between the woman and seed of the woman….(page xxi)
Papa God, thank you for this. Indeed the battle is one for our children, our seed. I am grateful for you showing me through Bidemi how important JUM is and I just ask you to help me. As Bidemi says, thank you for being interested in how it all unfolds.

The Ripple effect (page 29)
Bola just do as God has led you, he will cause the ripple effect to impact as he wills. The key is for me to move! Be the pebble! Make the waves… no matter how little the first wave may be. Make it!
These are my thoughts on this so awesome book.  Please grab your copy now.

Blessings!

Bola Essien-Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment